Friday, September 4, 2009

The Luckiest





I don't get many things right the first time.
In fact, I am told that a lot.
Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls brought me here.

And where was I before the day that I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it everyday, and I know that I am, I am, I am the luckiest.

What if I'd been born fifty years before you in a house on a street where you lived?
Maybe I'd be outside as you passed on your bike. Would I know?

And in a white sea of eyes, I see one pair that I recognize.
And I know that I am, I am, I am the luckiest.

I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you.

Next door there's an old man who lived to his nineties, and one day passed away in his sleep.
And his wife - she stayed for a couple of days, and passed away.

I'm sorry, I know that's a strange way to tell you that I know we belong.
That I know that I am, I am, I am the luckiest.

No comments:

Post a Comment